I see at the very end, it indicates that if you have the proper hardware
(Quicknet Linkjack) and a gatekeeper, you can do PC to phone.  Net2phone,
dialpad, etc, do not require this.  The readmes and howtos on openh323
indicate that net2phone uses these standards but they do not require each and
every user have anything more than either java installed (dialpad), or
download and install the software (net2phone), a soundcard, AND be running
Windoze and ONLY Windoze.

I am not a coder nor an expert on internet comm, but it still appears that
you would need a gatekeeper running in the area you wish to call to, so that
any call made is not a long distance call.  As I understand it, the
gatekeeper is an inteface between the IP net and the PSTN telephone system.
If <my> gatekeeper and linkjack card goes from my computer to the phonelines
to call my parents, I am making a long distance phonecall from my computer
with no advantage over using my phone.  It is still logged and charged as a
long distance phonecall

If I am wrong on this, then I would appreciate an explanation in correction
of this.  Like how me having a Quicknet linkjack on my computer here in Utah
will in any way allow me to make a long distance call over the net to my
parents in Colorado, without them having any of the software or gatekeeper or
Linkjack there.

Is there an app that allows one to take advantage of one's soundcard and
internet connection (like net2phone or dialpad, for instance), rather than
special hardware (which I'm not about to buy), to do this?

It would be real nice if someone (Redhat? Mandrake? Suse?) decided to setup a
net to phone service that would work for ALL platforms and not require each
and every user to have special hardware addons.  This is a nice area that
is absolutely not being filled by ANYONE else.  This company could be a
service for Mac users and Linux/BSD users who have nothing of the sort now
(and Windoze users could use it too).  No M$-only java crap, no win32-only
crap, open standards, open tools, useful and desireable service that is only
just beginning (net2phone is about to dump free calling in any case).

--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.