OK, I am tired of my computers being each named localhost.localdomain with
the alias of localhost.  I have tried, in the past, to change the alias to
something I like but this has been all but useless since it doesn't change
anything, like the KDM system name or how the name appears on the network.

Is there some special rules to follow in renaming one's computer?  Can one
who has a dynamic ip name their computer in such a way to be friendly with
the appropriate network?

My desktop is always connected to uswest via my DSL line.  I once even tried
naming the computer <somename>.uswest.net.  This was disliked.  I have even
tried changing the alias, which does little...when I login, I get
localhost.localdomain and the alias is nowhere to be seen.

My laptop gets connected to both my uswest ISP when it is at home or to my
university network when at work.  That is 2 dynamic ip assigning networks so
especially for my laptop I wonder if there is some naming convention that
will work nicely regardless of the network it is connected to.

Anyone?

--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.