You can find more information on the file
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesa.txt (if you have kernel-doc
installed). Basically you can play with the vga=### parameter and give it
a higher number until you can get the desidered resolution and the desire
depth. You can test it at boot time using

linux vga=###

and start testing with the ###'s until you get the one you like.

Luis