Try installing pmfirewall to handle ipchains.  I used the DrakConf setup
once, and then had to go back and basicly undo the settings and then
installed pmfirewall with my mods.  DrakConf probably does a good job if
you have exactly the setup it expects, but if you dont or not if you
want to control what happens, and want to be sure that your system is
secure.

It is causing the fetchmail problems.  Run "fetchmailconf" (as the user
who owns the fetchmail process you are running) and select "edit server"
for the connection and add (ppp0 in my case) the network interface to
"network to monitor".  On my setup, fetchmail goes to sleep unless ppp0
is up.

Billk