Well...

I have run into a problem with kernel 2.4.1 and my own 3com 900B card.  With
my present 2.2.17-21mdk kernel, it works, after a fashion (it takes FOREVER
for the card to get assigned an IP address during bootup via either pump or
dhcpcd).

I downloaded and built the mandrake cooker 2.4.1-9mdk kernel source and all
went very well.  It built, I installed it, I booted it up.  No problems with
that except no sound and, more critically, my 3com card doesn't work.  In
this case, instead of a module I went with building it into the kernel.  Upon
bootup, I see that it is recognized and given an irq, but when dhcpcd comes
up to assign an IP, it immediately fails and bootup continues.  I supposed
this is an improvement of sorts, having such a rapid bootup, but at the cost
of no network connectivity.

If I run "ifup eth0" as root after bootup, it immediately fails too.  In the
past, when I've built kernels and compiled the 900 driver into the kernel, I
had no problems (various 2.2.x kernels).  Anyone have any ideas?  It isn't
ideal, my present situation with my 3c900 and a 2.2.17 kernel, since it takes
forever to get an IP but it works.  Why the problem with 2.4.1?
--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.