On Tuesday 13 February 2001 08:16 pm, you wrote:
> To all,
>
>     First post here.  I posted this on the Newbie list, but I didn't get
> any takers.  Can someone help me figure out how to get this "driver"
> loaded for my sound card?   I have tried to read up on
> "recompiling" the kernel, but I can't figure out how the
> Sound Driver wouyld get incorporated into the new kernel.   Is there
> a way to use this driver without "recompiling"?   Is the process
> outlined below adequate?  I'm really not looking forward to compiling
> anything.... (g)  I was looking for an Alternative to Windows... and
> Mandrake seems like a nice distribution that is easier for semi-regular
> windows user like myself to learn and use linux.  Any help is greatly
> appreciated... :)

The CMI8338 module was included in my distro, but, I had to upgrade to KDE
2.1 before the sound would work. There is a problem with KDE 1.99 pre that
comes with LM 7.2 CD's.
Once the KDE was updated, sound worked "out of the box" requiring no further
configuration on my part.
--
Ken Thompson
Electrocom Computer Services - Payette, Idaho