Finally did it.

I tinkered here and there with /etc/atalk/afpd.conf, atalk.conf, config and
got appletalk working on my system.  My computer now shows up in the chooser
of the networked Macs on my school network.   Better yet, I got the afpfs
module working so I can now mount Mac volumes on my PC linux computer.

Wonderful!  At first, there seemed to be a problem...mtab was indicating that
the Mac drive I was after actually was mounted but I couldn't see jack squat
when I went to that mountpoint.  Ended up being a "problem" with my
privileges on the Mac.  I gave myself read/write permission on the Mac
(heh-heh) and that was it.  I can navigate the Mac, move files, copy, delete,
etc, on the Mac.

One remaining problem.  I set suid on the afpmount program in hopes of
allowing non-root users the ability to mount Mac volumes but every time I try
to mount a Mac volume as a user, I get a message that I "probably have to be
'root' to mount volumes".  Even when I login as superuser, I get this
message.  So far, I have had to login to a new terminal with Ctrl-F2 as root,
mount the volume, exit back to my user session, and THEN I can get to the
mounted volume.

Anyone have a suggestion on fixing this?  Setting suid on the afpmount binary
didn't help.
--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.