John

   I reported the same problem on Tuesday March 6th.
I tested it on a couple of boxes. It seems to only affect user accounts. The root
account is fine.
A fresh install of Mandrake 7.2 works fine, so the only thing I can think of is that
one of the
updates,
from mandrake update killed it.

  Mandrake, Can you confirm this?