This is an annoyance that has yet to be fixed in KDE.  For some reason,
konqueror is not, by default, at the top of the html applnk list.

To fix this, simply open up Control Center, go to File Browsing, go to Text,
then to html.  In the large window you will see only Quanta listed.  You now
hit the Add button, type in konqueror (do not select it from a the list, just
type it in) and hit OK.  Now select konqueror in the window and hit the Move
Up button and move it above quanta.  Hit Apply.

Now, links in kmail will work as they should and as nature intended.