On Monday 12 March 2001 04:21, you wrote:

> The station was set-up about 3 weeks ago and proved until last week to
> be stable. Since last week the station has begun to ran into several
> kernel panics a day, first with a lower frequency (say twice a day),
> now after a few minutes of uptime.
>
> OK, so I expected some kind of hardware failure, and replaced the
> station completely with another, keeping the harddisks in the original
> configuration.
>
> This didn't solve the problem, so now I am thinking of a software
> failure.

The only parts of your original server happen to be the disks, and it
still happens. Any possibility that the hardware failure is on the disks
themselves, or something to do with parameters that impact the disks?

Do you run hdparm during the boot process? If you do, try turning it off,
you will get lower performance, but perhaps a more stable machine.

Do you have any autotune parms in the boot? if so try turning them off
and see if that fixes the situation.

--
Alex
Kernel Panic is General Failure's second in command