David Rankin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Jay Woods wrote:
>
> > The rpms in general are on the installation disks and were installed. The
> > gcc-chill-2.95.2-7mdk is not and so was not installed. Apparently a complete
>install is
> > needed to get the g++ packages (which is a useful piece of information).
> >
> > I was able to execute g++. However, the include libraries for g++ were not created
>when the
> > packages were installed. I copied in the g++ subdirectory from version 6.2 to have
>something
> > with which to work.
> >
> > Are there any suggestions in which package the g++ include libraries reside? ---Jay

[root@tempe-dhcp9 aub]# rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/include/printf.h
glibc-devel-2.1.3-16mdk

> This has been are rather thorny problem in 7.1 and 7.2. Evidently if you choose the
>default
> installation, you don't get g++ loaded. Why? I haven't the foggiest idea. If you
>choose custom
> and server install, the g++ loads as part of the install. I have experimented with
>the typical
> and custom installs, and at least from my standpoint I don't know why anyone would
>ever do
> anything other than a Custom=>Server install to begin with. Ok, you don't get
>asteroids
> installed if you choose a server install. however, the server install will load all
>the core
> networking and development components needed to fit just about anyones needs without
>all the
> fluff.

If you want EVERYTHING, fluff and all, OR if you want to select a few things that
do not come with the server install, then 'simply' choose the select individual
packages option you get in the package select dialog.  You will later get a nifty
list of all the packages available, from which you can pick and choose to your
heart's content.  This is how I managed to install just about everything on my
home machine...

rc

Rusty Carruth          Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W