In have built many a kernel, first using the app called "buildkernel", which
is quite nice, and more recently the more manual way.  I have now built a
number of 2.4.x kernels, once accidently toasting my backup original 2.2.17
kernel, but luck was with me because my 2.4.2 builds were fine and now I only
have hand-built kernels on my system.

Did you cd to /usr/src/linux and after doing "make xconfig" do:

"make dep && make clean && make bzImage && make install && make modules &&
make modules_install" ?

Also, when you have the xmenu up and going, select no on the "Set version
information on all modules" under the "Loadable module support" menu?

I have done this all many times without problem whatsoever.