I am running a nearly Mandrake 8.0 beta system (kernel-2.4.2, XFree86-4.0.2,
glibc2.2) with kde 2.1, qt-2.3.0,  cups-1.1.6-14mdk, kups-1.1-4mdk and
qtcups-2.1-7mdk.

My problem is that I can run kups as root and printout a test page just fine.
If I try to run kups as a user and select my one and only printer (Epson
Stylus Color 600), then my system bogs way down and kups essentially freezes.
If I open up kpm, it indicates that kups is using 99% of my CPU.  If I try to
print from any kde app it fails.  There is no error message, just prolonged
HDD activity and the app freezes up until I open up kpm and kill "lpr -dlp"
which is using 99% of the CPU.  If I print from the CLI using "lpr <some
postscript file>" I have no problem printing.

What is up with cups and/or kups?  How do I fix this?