Wild guess: try chmod +w on your modem device. I fixed it a while back, but
I can't check what I did right now since the machine with the modem is at
home, where I only live during the weekends. But I guess making your modem
device world writable will be sufficient, guessing from the error message.

--
Rial Juan                        <http://nighty.ulyssis.org>
                e-mail:              [EMAIL PROTECTED]

1010011010 : Binary of the Beast