On Sat, Mar 17, 2001 at 10:36:27PM -0600, Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> TECHNICAL CONSIDERATIONS:
>
> If you are interested in trying out XFCE, please do NOT use the by now
> old version in LM7.2. Instead, download the latest RH
> xfce-3.7.2-1.i386.rpm. That's what I am using.

I got xfce-3.7.2-1mdk.i586.rpm from cooker.

> After installing xfce by rpm or by tar or whatever, be sure to run the
> xfce_setup program as USER:
>
> $xfce_setup
>
> WARNING for Linux-Mandrake users (perhaps for other distros as well):
>
> Since XFCE is not listed on the graphical login menu, you will need to
> access it from the console. When you do, please remember to type the
> SINGLE word:
>
> $startxfce
>
> That is, NOT "startx xfce". There is an apparent and very mysterious bug
> in Mandrake which causes "startx xfce" to launch the ICEWM window
> manager INSTEAD of xfce. So, please remember the one word command as
> user:

On my system the cooker rpm added Xfce to the graphical login menu.  It starts like
any other WM.

> $startxfce
>
> Well, that's it. Hope you give XFCE a try. It's well worth it. And it's
> a damn shame that Linux Mandrake does not install it by default. If you
> like it, you might wish to let them know how you feel about it.

At first glance it seems as fast as Blackbox, but I haven't configured icons for
staroffice etc yet.
Anyway, thanks for the tip.

--
Dennis Robertson  2/2 Sylvia Street  NOOSAVILLE QLD 4566
Phone: 61 7 54742343  Mob: 0419 535539