I am running KDE 2.1 with cups-1.1.6, kups-1.1-4mdk, qtcups-2.1-7mdk.  I have
an Epson Color Stylus 600.  I can startup and testprint from kups as
superuser/root but if I try this as a user, kups freezes up and bogs down my
whole system  - kpm indicates in the neighborhood of 99% CPU usage.  This
goes on indefinitely.  It also shows a process, "lpr -lpd" also consuming 99%
of my CPU (of course, two apps cannot be both using 99% of my CPU).

The only way to unfreeze kups is to kill the "lpr -lpd" process.  If I try to
print from any kde app (konqueror, kmail), the app will freeze up and slow my
system down in the same way that kups does.  In no case is a printout EVER
produced.  Also, the print job never show up in the printer queue.  Not in
kups (which is frozen of course) nor does it show up in kups if I am running
it as root and try to print from kmail or konqueror as a user.  If I do an
"lpq" from the CLI as well, nothing ever appears in the queue.  I only have
the one printer so there is only the one queue.  It only ever show a queued
print job if I do the CLI printing of a postscript file.

As a user I CAN print from the CLI using the "lpr <some postscript file>"
without any problems.  I have tried both the foomatic+stccolor, foomatic,
foomatic + gimp-print, as well as various versions of gimp-print available to
me in the driver list.  As root, again, I have no problem printing test pages
from kups with these drivers, but as user...
--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.