Dear friends:

First, my thanks to everyone who wrote in with their suggestions and
advice.

One last stickler:

I just installed RealPlayer8.bin as instructed by Tom Brinkman.
Installation was a complete success EXCEPT...

1) First, in Netscape under plugins, I see the RealPlayer plugin .rpm
extension recognized ("Yes"). However, it clearly says: RealPlayer 7
plugin, NOT RealPlayer 8 plugin. Am I missing something here?

2) More importantly, RealPlayer8 launches perfectly from the console:

$usr/local/RealPlayer8/
[sher@sher07@sherlantz sher]$ cd /usr/local/RealPlayer8
[sher@sher07@sherlantz RealPlayer8]$ ls
Codecs/  Mime.types   firstrun.rm      realplay*         rp7mini.xpm
Common/  Plugins/     mime.kdelnk      realplay.desktop  rpnp.so*
Help/    README       mimeinstall.sh*  rp7.xpm
LICENSE  app.kdelnk   pluginstall.sh*  rp7doc.png
Mailcap  audiosig.rm  raclass.zip      rp7doc.xpm
[sher@sher07@sherlantz RealPlayer8]$ ./realplay

NO PROBLEMS. However...

If you try to launch it as an icon, you have to launch it by checking
"Run in terminal" under Properties. Execute or else it won't run. Well,
after it launches this awkward way, I just minimize the terminal. But is
there any way to run it directly from the icon without having to resort
to this workaround?

Still, I am pleased. Would appreciate the clarification, though.

Thank you all.

Benjamin

--
Sher's Russian Web