Anyone have any ideas where I might be going wrong here:

Promise ATA-100 PCI card with 2 IBMs attached.
Base Mandrake kernel 2.2.17 works perfectly with the card...
boots into /dev/hde1

When I upgrade the kernel to 2.4.x ( I tried 0, 2, and 3), when booting up,
it gives this error:

request_module[block-major-33]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device "2101" or 21:01
Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 21:01

Now this baffles me because Im switching from RH6.2 which I had no problems loading a 2.4.3 kernel.
Common sense tells me it since its kernel space...there shouldnt be any difference that this is Mandrake now.

The default kernel boots up fine, but this is an SMP box and I also want to run iptables.
lilo.conf:
image=/boot/vmlinuz
 label=linux
 root=/dev/hde1
 read-only

Compiled 2.4.3 with gcc-2.95.2, all other software are proper levels. Kernel builds fine, just doesnt boot. Like I said,
when this was a RH6.2 box it loaded a 2.4 kernel fine with the promise card. Thanks for any assitance you can provide.

Bob Silva
bob @bravenet.com