Ken Thompson wrote:

> On Monday 02 April 2001 01:13 pm, you wrote:
> > If you ARE running an X session, try hitting [ctrl]+[alt]+[F7}. This should
> > cycle it properly back to X.
> >
> David,
> I just finished reading *all* the thread, something ya might try is to issue
> the init 3 command and then the init 5 command, I've had this work for me in
> the past.
> --

Ken

That did it! Mystery solved. I did 'telinit 3' and then 'telinit 5' and bingo I
had the graphical login back. Thanks.....

Last question:

Since I was logged in as root on tty1 when I did 'telinit 3' and then 'telinit 5'
which gave me the xdm login, do I still have a root login on tty1 hanging around
someplace that I now need to kill?

David......