Ken

That did it! Mystery solved. I did 'telinit 3' and then 'telinit 5' and
bingo I
had the graphical login back. Thanks.....

Last question:

Since I was logged in as root on tty1 when I did 'telinit 3' and then
'telinit 5'
which gave me the xdm login, do I still have a root login on tty1
hanging around
someplace that I now need to kill?

David......

[P.S.]

I found the answer! [ctrl]+[alt]+[F1] got me back to the tty1 login.
Logged out and cycled through to tty7 and the graphical login is back.

Thanks to everyone for your great help. Its the simple things that can
drive you crazy when you are making friends with this OS.