I had a problem similar to this awhile back. Everything looked like it *should* be
working but it
wasn't. Pinging the local ip was fine but pinging the other box was not. After much
fiddling of
bringing things up & down and many rebootings of the Windows box. We finally left it
set up so
that it *should* work, and then we.....rebooted the linux machine (mdk 7.1). For some
CRAZY
reason, this worked and all of a sudden we were able to ping accross the network. I"m
convinced it
had something to do with the network card and linux not brining it up properly
(despite its
claims).

I don't remember if the hub showed activity during our extensive setup/testing. My
tentative
explanation would only make sense if it didn't show it gonig from the linux-->windows
box, but i
really don't remember.

If i were you i would:
1. Configure everything the way it should be and if it doesn't work reboot both
machines to let
hte changes settle in. (yes, maybe it's enough to change or reload init levels on the
linux box).
Double-check everything (you didn't mis-type an ip address or netmask, did you? If
they're on
different subnets, you do have a gateway set up, right?)
2. Make sure everything on the physical level (cables - crossover vs straightthrough,
hub) and
data-link level (your network cards, etc) is set up properly. Verify things that you
already
"know".
3. Get another box in on hte action. Can you isolate the problem to a particular
machine?
4. Design some kind of a quasi rain dance and make sure it's relevant to your network.
Additional
rites and rituals might (not) help.

Good luck,