Dear friends:

I went ahead last night and downloaded the older Feb. 17, 2001 Red Hat
6.2 version of Mozilla from:

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla0.8/RH6/

I wanted a 586 version of Mozilla and Red Hat 6.2 had only a 386
version. Meanwhile, the Mandrake 586 version available on Cooker is
inaccessible to us LM72 folks because the rpm that is used in LM 8.0 is
incompatible with the rpm used in LM72.

I then rebuilt the Red Hat 6.2 src.rpm using rpm --rebuild
mozilla-0.8-2.src.rpm

I figured that since Red Hat 6.2 uses the old rpm, the same one that we
use in Mandrake, that this should be perfectly OK. And it was.

My rebuilding yielded all four files:

mozilla-0.8-2.i586.rpm*
mozilla-devel-0.8-2.i586.rpm*
mozilla-mail-0.8-2.i586.rpm*
mozilla-psm-0.8-2.i586.rpm*

I installed the mozilla and mozilla psm files. I will do the same for
the latest version when the RedHat 6.2 version comes out or I might wait
till the true Beta (version 9.0) comes out next month.

Is this as good as using the CVS version? I feel much safer doing it
this way because I can always rpm -e delete the file safely if something
goes wrong.

The one thing that bothers me about the final 586 version of Mozilla
that I installed is that I still can't replace the default adobe fonts
with my mozilla true type fonts in Preferences. I thought this was
because I was using either a 686 or 386 version. That's one reason
I went ahead and rebuilt it. But Mozilla's Preferences is still
barefuly functional and when you try to make more than one change
at once, you get a segmentation default. Even when I try to change
the fonts individually, Mozilla 586 (like all the other builds)
crashes. What in the world is wrong with Mozilla? After three
years, you would think they could make the critical Preferences
box work flawlessly. Obviously not. I HAVE submitted a bugzilla
report on this a good month or so ago. No response. No action has
apparently been taken. I sure hope Mozilla gets its act together
in time for the upcoming "recommended beta" version 9.0, not to
mention in time for version1.0 or it may well be sunk before its
hits the water.

Benjamin

Is there any manual way to configure the fonts so that I could change
the default adobe fonts with my True Type fonts as in Netscape?

Thanks so much.

Benjamin

--
Sher's Russian Web