Kelley Terry wrote:

> Is there a way to rename multiple files all of the format
> q####_tif.bz2  to  q####.tif.bz2  where the # represent digits.  In other
> words I need to change the underscore "_" character to a dot "." for all the
> file names in a directory.  If there is a way to do this w/o a shell script
> it would be great but I can't find one.
> --
> "It said uses Windows 95 or better, so I loaded Linux!"
> "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"
> Kelley Terry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Here's one post from the past...
----------
    Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2000 11:51:04 +0200
    From: Alexander Skwar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Subject: Re: [expert] Scripting- Uppercase to lowercase

    Renaming...
        for NAME in `find www_root -type f` ; do
            mv $NAME `echo $NAME | tr '[:upper:]' '[:lower:]'
        done

For your needs, you would want something like...
        for NAME in `find www_root -name "q*tif.bz2" -type f` ; do
            mv $NAME `echo $NAME | tr '_' '.'
        done

Only problem might be that *all* underscores will get changed.

Thanks... Dan.