Well, to make a long story boring, Rebuilding the kernel, and
reinstalling the card got me nowhere:  I did discover that it is now using irq
12, although I believe windows did this recently when I reinstalled, but
nothing worked. The following commands produced results.

insmod 8390 (lsmod  showed it unused)
insmod ne2k-pci
ifup eth0

Now I can ping myself and my other machine without fuss or hassle, and thanks
to all who made suggestions along the way.  A reboot will kill all that and
I'll have to do it again. It seems to indicate the rest of the stuff was right.

The problem is that ne2k-pci.o is loading without first loading the 8390
module someone mentioned, so it screws up. I have kernel autoloading of modules
configured in the kernel, and things like the vfat disks and the cdrom all work
fine

 But how do I get it to load the modules right? :-/

        Regards,

        Declan Moriarty

Applied Researches - Ireland's Foremost Electronic Hardware Genius

        A Slightly Serious(TM) Company

Without the optimist, the pessimist wouldn't know how happy he isn't.