It appears that the source of one of my problems with MANY things in cooker
is colors.  If I try to build a kernel and start with the "make xconfig", it
craps out because it cannot understand simple colors (black, gray, etc).  If
I try to run xf86cfg, it craps out because it cannot figure out colors.

KDE is fine and I have a color display.  From where are the color definitions
derived that seems to be missing on my system?  When running xconfig, where
does it acquire its information on colors?
--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.