Todd Flinders wrote:

Now, I do not think that the problem is with 10/100
variances.  I have had both 10 and 100 devices on my
network and there was not a problem.  However, your
hub/switch/router will have to be 10/100.  Otherwise,
their could be grief.  But since the rest of your
network is working fine, I doubt this is the case.

<< MY SOAP BOX >>

Hmm... Now I'm not so sure about this one. In the Windows world, I have had problems with networked machines on the same segment wanting to run at 10 (if one machine on the lan is only capable of 10) or 100 if you have all 100 mip capable cards and UTC CAT 5. The problem being this: Let's say you have a Linux server and 14 WinXX clients with PCI 10/100 NICs, a CAT 5 UTP backbone, a 16 port 10/100 hub (or whatever tying them together), and 1 WinXX client with an ISA 10 Mip NIC. Based upon my experience, if you want all machines to talk, you have 3 options:

(1) Set all 14 PCI WinXX machines and the Linux box to run at 10 mips (via the drivers); or
(2) Find a 10/100 ISA NIC (3Com 515TX -- Costs more that the ISA machine is worth); or
(3) Get rid of the machine that doesn't support a 10/100 NIC and replace it with one that does. (I don't care if it's nothing more than a 233 Mhz P2 with an open PCI slot for a 10/100 NIC)

I'm no expert, and I can't give you a dissertation about the finer points of 10/100 "auto-sensing" compatibility, but I can tell you that if you have more than 1 WinXX box with shared resources on a lan segment, and, it's not all 10 or 100, you are going to have to reach the lowest common denominator (i.e. 10 mips) to make the windows boxes play nicely together.

If someone else can enlighten me on how to have an "auto-sensing" hub handle both 10 and 100 Mips WinXX machines on the same lan segment, I am all ears. When I was running WinXX peer-to-peer, I had both Dell and Linksys on the phone trying to figure out why my machines would not talk to each other. The answer was simply, on the same lan segment, it's either 10 or 100, not both. Auto-sensing is a great thing, "the dumb hub can figure out if its going to talk at 10 or 100 all by itself!" (They just don't tell you it can't talk and listen at 10 and 100 at the same time ;-)

My solution was to scrap the old ISA machine (the secretary's - of course) and replace it with one that would support 100TX. Crank all machines up to 100 Mips. And now, my Linux/Samba, Win95, Win98, WinME Lan absolutely screams. If I try and copy my accounting data file (small, but ~ 7 meg)  from a WinXX machine to Linux or vice-versa while in Windows, the Copy dialog doesn't even have time to appear. (copy time ~1 second)

Further Affiant Sayeth Not.....