OK, it looks like I have finally gotten DRI working.  The problem is the
default X resolution is too high.  I would like to set it lower, to 1024x768,
but if I use any of the tools supplied by Mandrake to do this, it screws
everything up and sets the system up to use the original XFree86 instead of
the DRI stuff.

I looked through XF86Config and XF86Config-4 and see nothing obvious that I
could edit to change the default resolution.  What file, and where, is in
charge of XFree resolution?
--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.