Aaron deRozario <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> there is no hardware fault with the serial mouse (standard 2 button serial).

Do you have any other 'pure serial' mice you can try on that port?
(and on other ports).  (I say 'pure serial' just because of the other
post about ps/2 to serial adapters perhaps being problematic for
old hardware - glad to see that, I'll keep it in mind!)

You're sure the mouse actually works?  (Well, you never know if the
obvious has been checked, so I thought I'd better check ;-)

> Otherwise, are there any diagnostic tools I might be able to use to see if
> it is possible to communicate in any way with the serial port, or mouse?
> Any help would be appreciated.

I've used xserialstat (I think - it had 'serialstat' or 'modemstat'
in the name, I think) and ... oh, shoot, its that serial comm program
that comes with linux.  With 2 open ports, connect them together
and run 2 copies, one to each port, and what you type on one should
show up on the other.

Other than that, find someone with a serial protocol analyzer if
you can (only half joking here - I know some folks may be lucky
enough to know someone who either has one or can get access to
one).

I am having problems getting an apple laserwriter2 to work, and
all I've got right now is serial proto - so if there are other
suggestions I hope folks will post them to the list as my
above suggestions have not allowed me to solve my problems
yet...  (No serial proto analyzer yet ;-)

rc

Rusty Carruth          Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W