I'm running Mandrake 7.1 beta on a DEC alpha, a XP1000. When I try to view
text files using less I just get the following output:

ESC[36lESC>
<filename> line 1/1 (END)

If it's a binary file file I see ESC[36lESC> on the first line followed by
the output of running "strings". Piping into less ("more file|less" or
"cat file|less") works fine. I'm running

less-340-3mdk

with

ncurses-5.0-13mdk
gpm-1.19.2-2mdk
glibc-2.1.3-6mdk

        Upgrading less, ncurses and gpm didn't fix it. I didn't have this
problem with 7.0, but downgrading to those rpms didn't help either. BTW,
the website says that 7.1 isos are available, but the ones I downloaded
(forget from where I got them, that mirror seems to have disappeared from
the list now) still seemed to be the beta version. Any suggestions?
TIA,

- Vinod.