I upgraded my laptop (IBM ThinkPad T20) yesterday from a perfectly happy
7.2 installation to 8.0 (using the ISO images released yesterday), and now
the internal pointer, which has always been detected as a standard
3-button PS/2 mouse, is gone.  Any attempt to use it (gpm, X, cat) gets me
a "/dev/mouse: No such device" or "/dev/psaux: No such device" error.

/proc/interrupts contains no item at interrupt 12 (where psaux used to
be).  /proc/misc contains the line "1 psaux", so I know I have support in
the kernel (like MandrakeSoft would release a kernel without mouse support
anyway!).  harddrake and kudzu claim there's no mouse.

A USB mouse works (if I change the link at /dev/mouse to /dev/usbmouse).
This is NOT a BIOS or hardware issue: if I reboot into Windows, or if I
boot with 7.2 rescue disk and type "cat /dev/psaux", the internal mouse
works.

The installer does not detect, nor will it use, the internal mouse.  I had
to use the keyboard to get it to work.

This is really awful and frustrating--my machine is unusable and I'm in
Windows now.  In eight years with Linux, I've never had the mouse not work
before. :-)

----
Trey Harris
formerly of UNC Academic Technology
Now with VA Linux Systems, New York region
Secretary of SAGE -- The System Administrators Guild (www.sage.org)