Oh! Well, good :-)
But still you need to delete the locked file that xfs created.

Along with df, du is another useful utility. "d"isk "u"sage is what it stands for.
Read the
manpage, but du -h /var will give you some idea of how much space the things in /var
are taking
and "du -hs /var" will summarize how much /var takes up. Anyway, just read the man
page...

Glad you're on the right track.