Okay, Ken, I found that anti-aliasing does help our
problem.

Bring up the K Configuration Panel and select Look and
Feel.  Then select Style.  Towards the middle is a
check box to enable anti-aliasing.  If you do that,
after restarting X, you will have anti-aliasing.
Konqueror then displays the fonts quite clearly
(albeit a bit small).

There is also another checkbox to make changes affect
non-KDE applications, but this did not help my
Netscape.

I changed my font size and one style (under Look and
Feel).  This improved the fonts of KDE.  However,
Konqueror ignored my changes (even in the Appearance
tab of Konqueror's Settings menu).  While I had nice
anti-aliasing, the fonts were a bit small for my tired
eyes.

I believe you will need the nvidia detonator drivers
installed.  You can get them here:

http://www.nvidia.com/Products/Drivers.nsf/Linux.html

Grab the .src.rpm's (at the bottom of the page) and
rebuild them:

rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_kernel*src.rpm
rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_GLX*src.rpm

This will create the binaries in a subdirectory
(depending on the architecture of your machine - K6,
i386, i486, i586, i686, noarch) at:

/usr/src/RPM/RPMS/

Be SURE to read the README at the same nvidia link.
It is IMPORTANT (I know the fonts are bad, but do what
you can).

This will not completely fix the problem (because
Netscape is still messed up), but it will enable your
anti-aliasing making KDE generally much nicer and it
will be a huge improvement for Konqueror.

Also, in case anyone else is interested, I realized my
mistake I mentioned in my old message (below) about
Aurora. The "graphical boot up" I mentioned is indeed
Aurora after all.  If anyone misses the Aurora of 7.2,
you can choose between it and other styles under the
Boot section of the Mandrake Control Center.  There
are four styles of Aurora to choose from.

I hope this helps, Ken.  If you have any troubles with
the nvidia drivers, let me know and I will try to
help.  They are by far superior drivers to the "nv"
driver you are likely using now.

--- "Kenneth Lierman Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>