Hello there!

I was wondering if there are known issues with the quantum fireball plus LM 30 udma 66 drive and linux?

my system:

abit be6-2 motherboard ( w/ hpt366 )  upgraded to latest available bios
pentium 2 400
128 mb pc100 ram
matrox g400 dual, 32 m  AGP

PCI 1(  first pci slot, not second )  -- promise udma 100 controller
PCI 4  ( soundblaster live value )
pci 5  dlink 538TX NIC

disks

Ide0  m:  20gig quantum  ( ata 33 )
         s    ide zip atapi

Ide1  m:  plextor 8x4x32  cdrw
        s:  pioneer dvd

promise udma ide 2:   quantum fireball + LM 30 ( master )  udma 66
             udma ide 3    maxtor 20 gig udma 100

I have been trying to install Mandrake Linux 8 on a abit be6-2 motherboard with the hpt 366 controller.
But it crashes during boot . . . as soon as the udma drives are detected the kernel hangs . .. I am trying to install linux onto the
first harddisk that is on the motherboard controller. ( not the udma drives )

1) if the hpt 366 is disabled, Linux will install -- windows works fine with hpt driver and the fireball drive though.

2) I heard that there are problems with the hpt 366 controller and linux

3)  so I bought the Promise ata-100 udma controller as a longshot

4)  same problem, won't boot .. .

here's the kicker, the system will boot and install linux if the LM 30 is unplugged from my computer ( power and ide cable )

( colors of  ide cable are right direction - - - ie blue ( motherboard ) and black ( master ) so that's not the problem )

So my question is this a bug with the drive itself that only shows up in linux, or is there a bug in the Kernel ata driver that doesn't work properly with the quantum LM 30 fireball + drives?

Why should it even matter what type of Ide drive I have?  Aren't they all compatible with some standard??

Thank you for any information that you can provide!

Stuart