John,

Thank you very much! I now have Netscape 3.04 working (at least as root
-- I have some more experimentation to do (for example, to see what
happens if I share a mail directory with Windows -- will the line ending
problem bite me?) but I appreciate the help to get over this hurdle).

For reference, I downloaded ld.so-1.9.5-8.i386.rpm from rpmfind.net
which was listed as being for Redhat 5.2.  (There were no packages
listed for Mandrake, and this seemed the most promising.)

As it happens, I had done a fresh install of Mandrake 7.2 and then
updated with Mandrakefreq since my previous email, so the libdl.so.1
link I had created to libdl.so.2.x.x was gone.

Before I installed the library, I tried a variety of rpm queries (rpm -q
--whatprovides, --whatrequires, --provides to see what required
libdl.so.2, what provided libdl.so.2, etc.).  Then I took a deep breath

I used rpm -ivh --force ld.so-1.9.5-8.i386.rpm, followed by ldconfig -l
/lib/libdl.so.1.9.5.  (I didn't try installing Netscape before the
ldconfig, so I'm not absolutely sure that the ldconfig step is
necessary.  The resulting library (libdl.so.1.9.5) worked fine -- I did
not have to rename or link it to libdl.so.1.

Thanks again!
Randy Kramer