Using Linux-Mandrake 7.1
Ximian GNOME 1.4

I altered my Mandrake Security settings the other day, and now gnome-terminal
will not start if I am logged on as an ordinary user. I can open an ordinary
xterm, su as root, and then start gnome-terminal with no problem.
gnome-terminal was working fine before I altered my security settings (changed
to level 3). This is the error message:

$ gnome-terminal --use-factory --start-factory-server
Error: unable to fork: Interrupted system call
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

$ gnome-terminal
Error: unable to fork: Interrupted system call
Gdk-ERROR **: X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).

Most other apps are working as before except kppp (the only KDE app I use),
which now crashes if I start it as an ordinary user, but again can be started
as root from an xterm without problem.

This looks to me like an issue with how access to X display is set up. Can
anyone advise me on what I need to look at to fix this problem?

D. D. Brierton               Department of Philosophy, University of Edinburgh
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                            http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~ddb