Laurent Duperval wrote:
> On  1 May, Alan Shoemaker wrote:
> > Laurent Duperval wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> It looks like Mandrake 8.0 uses a frame buffer to boot.
> >> I don't want that.
> >
> > Laurent....click on the desktop icon labled "Mandrake
> > Control Center".  When the control center has opened it's
> > window (probably after you've supplied the root password)
> > then expand the tree under "Boot" and choose the option
> > called "Boot Config".
> >
> > In the upper right corner of the resulting window there
> > will be a button called "Configure"  click on it and a
> > sub-window will open.  Choose the radio button marked
> > "LILO with text menu".
> >
> > Then click on the  button labled "Advanced".  In the
> > scrolling list for the setting, "Video mode" scroll to
> > the very bottom and choose the selection "Normal".  Now
> > click on the "OK" button and the sub-window will close.
> > Finally click on the main window's "OK" button and you're
> > done.  The next time you power up or re-boot you should
> > boot in text mode.
>
> I'd done that already and it doesn't work. The LILO screen
> is text but the entire boot sequence is still in graphical
> mode. I hear my multi-sync monitor mode-switch (it clicks)
> after I select "linux" from the LILO screen.
>
> Normally, I'm supposed to get
>
> LILO boot:
>
> when LILO starts. Now I get some gibberish:
>
> !(@*TBASD boot:
>
> where the first part is composed of smiley faces and stuff.
> Then, after I hit Return, the graphical stuff starts. There
> is a big "Welcome" banner at the top of the screen and at
> the bottom there is the normal status display that appears
> at boot time. This is the part I don't want.
>
> Wait a minute.....
>
> What if....
>
> Ok, now to reboot.....
>

> Y E S !!!! HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!!
>
> The video mode for the linux entry in LILO was set to 794
> so setting the other value to text had no real effect. Now
> I've got everything back to normal, almost.
>
> The only thing I want now, is to set the default font of
> the consoles to a smaller font. I liked the way the text
> looked in mode 794. There weas a lot more information on
> the screen than there is at 80x25. What the best way to
> test new console fonts? I thought linuxconf had that in 7.2
> but it doesn't look like it in 8.0.
>
> Thanks,

Laurent....put the vga=794 back in your /etc/lilo.conf and
uninstall the Aurora RPM from your system.

To test console fonts put vga=ask instead of vga=normal or
vga=xxx in /etc/lilo.conf.  vga=ask will prompt you for the
console setting at boot time and provide a list from which
you may choose.
--
Alan