[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The other day I was annoyed to find that AT&T @Home cable had changed my IP
> address without my knowledge.  I played around in Linuxconf and DrakProfile
> to change system settings to reflect that.  Next time I booted up, my
> internet connection didn't work.  Now whenever I try to make connections to
> remote sites, I get "unknown host."

You are complaining about a static address issue, yet below, you say you are
using DHCP (DYNAMIC Host Configuration Protocol); which is it...?

> Here's what bootup tells me:
>
> network: Setting network parameters:  succeeded
> ifup: SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
> network: Bringing up interface lo:  succeeded
> ifup: Delaying eth0 initialization.
> network: Bringing up interface eth0:  failed

Have you checked your NETMASK?

> I don't know why this would be.  I've checked my settings in Windows, and it
> appears as if everything is the same in both systems.
>
> Other notes:
> NIC is enabled, to use DHCP.

So changing your IP address should not have been an issue.

> (is it System Control, the thing that shows devices and related info?)- Shows
> NIC to be properly configured
> HardDrak shows my card as it is, a Via-Rhine 10/100 PCI card.
> I tried running DrakProfile and getting that to set up my card.  It said
> that my network card is not properly set up.

OK... forget the GUIs; give us the output of:

   ifconfig
   route -n
   lsmod

and the contents of:

   /etc/modules.conf
   /etc/resolv.conf
   /etc/sysconfig/network
   /proc/interrupts
   /proc/ioports

> Comments:
> This is a big pain in the butt.  My system works great asides from this
> annoying lack of connectivity.  I'm not going to make many Linux converts if
> I can't show them a system that works with the internet.  I can also not read

Most of us know this...  Making this sort of comment may actually prevent
helpful people from responding if they think they might have to debug not only a
problem; but deal with an attitude.  Just trying to help (not just you)   **'nuf
said**.

Pierre

--
Support Linux development:  http://www.linux-mandrake.com/donations/