This might seem extreme, but you could try to boot with a rescue disc (like the
install CD), mount your relevant partition, chroot and then try
updating/replacing the rpm package. I'd wait to hear what anyone else on this
list thinks before trying this. Definately you should run rpm with the --test
and the -vv (double-verbose) option before doing it for real.

That's just a brainstorming idea. Another would be to reinstall rpm from source
(not source rpms, but source files).

I'm interested to see how this turns out.