Hi All,

I've installed Mandrake 8, and everything worked fine except for my network
card: The module it uses is the correct one (8139too), it loads fine, but I
can't ping anything but my own PC. I've tried to recompile the module with
different options, but can't "modprobe" it because of unresolved symbols.
According to the Kernel info web pages, there were some problems with the
RTL 8139 driver which were fixed around 2.4.3-ac7 or something.

Because I can't (or rather don't know how) to get the recompiling of the
driver module to work, I can't simply patch the driver with the latest
kernel update and recompile. In the end I had to download the 2.4.4 kernel,
patch it to 2.4.4-ac4, and use that. The network card now works, but I've
broken my "automount" capability for my CD and Disk drive. I can probably
fix it, but have spent more time / resources on the problem  than I should
have allready.

The optimum solution would be if I can simply recompile the modified module
for the Mandrake 2.4.3 kernel, or if I can get the default one to work with
some module parameters. Any suggestions how I might acomplish this?

System:
-------
Dual PIII 600
Gigabyte GA-6BXDS motherboard (Intel 440BX chipset)
512 MB Ram
DVD-Rom
1x 16.5 GB IDE connected to onboard IDE controller
Adaptec 7895 SCSI controller (onboard) with
  2x 8.5 GB
Adaptec 39160 SCSI controller (pci) with
  1x 17.5 GB Ultra 160
GeForce 2 GTS
Soho Basic network card (RTL 8139 chipset)

Thanks in advance

Best regards,

Gerrit