El Lunes 16 Abril 2001 16:09, Christopher Molnar escribió:

> On Monday 16 April 2001 04:17, you wrote:
> > Hi, Is there any way to go back to lpd and uninstall cups? I am not
> > satisfied with cups and would like to install lpd without messing too
> However, my suggestion: Can you post here what you do not like about cups
> and what you are not satisfied with? I am sure someone from Mdk is
> listening and maybe a problem could be fixed.

Sure. My printing needs are actually very low. I have 2 computers, one
running linux and the other windows 98. I have a HP600 connected to the linux
box (Mandrake 7.2) and have samba installed to let the win box use my
resources, although it is not a very powerful system (AMD k6 233, 64Mb).
The thing is that I've been using linux for a while and haven't have any
problem using lpd in other distros. I became somewhat used to lpd.

Since I have Mandrake 7.2 and cups installed I've been having ocasional
errors. Sometime I've had problems when trying to print a message from kmail.
But, what doesn't work at all is printing from the win box via samba. The
thing is that everything appears to be ok. The printer is shown correctly to
windows which recognizes it and use it. It prints to it and send the file to
the linux box, in which cupsd takes over the CPU and rises it to 100%
endlessly.
So I have cupsd working and making the HD to work hard, but I get no result
in the printer. If I check the queue, there seems not to be any job to be
done. So it looks like it's vanished...

So, I am a little bit reluctant to use cups since lpd has worked perfectly to
me. Also, I have no spare time now to try to figure out what happens, as my
exams are getting closer.

Well, thanks in advance and sorry for the length of this message.

--
Saludos desde Sevilla