Benjamin,

Make sure that xfs, your fontserver service, is running. To do this:
[root@homer RPM]# service xfs status
xfs (pid 710) is running...
[root@homer RPM]#

And if it's not running, then start it up with "service xfs start" and then try startx.

Then, if that's it, check to make sure that xfs is started at boot. You can do this
with
chkconfig, ntsysv, and probably some gui configuation utilities.

I hope that's it :-)