Civileme wrote:

> On Tuesday 15 May 2001 06:18, you wrote:
> > Civileme wrote:

> > > Ummm the kernel was patched for it and there is a module to load during
> > > install.  And you can activate it.  All in 8.0.  Special install
> > > techniques may be required.
> >
> > Any details on those "Special install techniques"?
> > I actually got lm_sensors working using a RedHat 7.1 package (Iwill
> > KK266 MB).  Gkrellm now displays temps, but I'm having trouble with fan
> > speeds.  And I haven't gotten KHealthcare to work yet.
> > Thanks
> > Eric
> >
> > > It is not done by default, because we have a need to protect IBM notebook
> > > users.  With IBM notebooks it can bring a
> > > factory-return-for-new-motherboard surprise.
> > >
> > > Civileme
>
> Well the (Enable support for booting off-board controllers first) switch is
> in different directions on the install and the boot kernel for LM 8.0
>
> So the tric k is install and when you get the kernel panic on boot, just boot
> the install CD in rescue mode and change the references in /etc/fstab and
> lilo.conf from (for example) /dev/hdg to /dev/hda (or /dev/hdc if you have
> something like a CD on the primary IDE channel).
>
> Then boot the system and all is well.
>
> Civileme
>
> Naturally, since the Iwill is more of the same fake hardware IDE RAID
> controllers proliferating and secret, don't bother with using the RAID.
> Linux software RAID works better anyway.

Uhm, I think you might be answering the wrong question.  Those sound
like instructions for booting off of an onboard RAID controller.  The
question is about lm_sensors.

Agree on the quality of the onboard RAID controllers though, I don't
have the RAID version of the Iwill board.  I got a 3ware card instead.
It smokes :-)