The few instances where I've seen Office run at all on Linux under wine were:

Dual boot machine (Win98/Linux).
Office was installed on Win98.
Machine was booted in Linux, with the Win98 partition mounted.
Wine was running Office from the Win98 partition.

I've seen this work, and I've had it working. But I'd not consider it nearly
stable, nor complete enough to be "production useable".

If you really want to run Office from Linux, look into VMware. While not "free",
it's a far better alternative.

JMHO-YMMV

        Ric

Benjamin Sher wrote:

> Dear friends:
>
> Below is the official word on installing Word97 or MicrosoftOffice in Linux
> using Wine, in this case, Codeweavers Wine. See below.
>
> It would appear that if Codeweavers thinks it can't be done, then it can't be
> done.
>
> I have to accept his judgment on this score.
>
> Just wondering: Has ANYONE gotten MSWord97 to work  and to work
> satisfactorily in Linux using Wine, any version of Wine? Some people have
> written to tell me that they have. So, is the representative from Codeweavers
> right? Or is there a workaround? What's the last word on this subject,
> please?
>
> (Please see my long letter on this subject yesterday).
>
> Thank you so very much.
>
> Benjamin
>
> Benjamin Sher
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Ben,
>
> You shouldn't waste a lot of time attempting to get office to install via
> Wine.  It simply doesn't work due to the installer that it uses.  If you
> want to get office to work under wine, install it to a windows partition
> first, and just run it from there.  Also keep in mind that very little of
> office actually works under wine.  Refer to the newsgroup or mailing lists
> for more detail.
>
> -Jim

Ric Tibbetts
Boeing Shared Services Group