ken wrote:

> On Monday 21 May 2001 04:12 am, you wrote:
> > Hello !
> >
> > During the installtion of Mandrake 8.0 I was
> > bale to give in all my parameters to make
> > an internet connection. But I am not able to
> > connect to my ISP. The problem is, that I get an
> > connection and immediatly after I got it the remote
> > party hags up. In /var/log/messages i can see that
> > he cannot find a CHAP paassword for the user I want to
> > log in. But the user is in it. I think the problem
> > is that he has not started the pppd daemon to start the chat
> > with the other machine. Has anyone the same or a similar problem,
> > and got it fixed ??? Or any ideas ????
> >
> > Thanks in advance and bst regards
> > Anes Lihovac
>
> Anes,
> Look in setup under the <edit> provider and DNS.
> Change from automatic to manual and make sure your primary and secondary DNS
> server IPaddresses are there. If not, get them from your provider and type
> them in..
> --
> Ken Thompson

Hey Ken !

Thank you very much for your answer. But the dns aren't the problem.
All the settings worked before with Mandrake 7.2, but with a serial
Modem
and with Debian 2.2 with ISDN !
Now i have freshly installed Mandrake 8.0 !
The problem is that I get the connect and then the remote site drops the
connection. In
/Var log/messages I can see that something like this:
isdn info: no CHAP secret for this user ....
But the chap and pap secrets are there in trhe form like this:
'username' * 'password'
But he doesn't seem to like it somehow. For me, it sounds like a common
problem for ISDN and Mandrake, cause I have found several site with
users who have the same problem with Mandrake from 6.1 till 8.0.
Some have managed it by doing this:
pap and chap-screts
username<tab>*<tab>password
And it worked. But for me it doesn't work. So I am searching on.

Thanks
Anes