Craig Sprout wrote:

> Hi David!
>
> Glad to hear that your NIC is up and running.  I just had a quick question
> for you -- were you able to compile that module from the linux source
> tree, or did you do it by itself?
>
> Just wondering, since I've never been able to compile it with the kernel.
>
> As an aside, isn't it cool that gurus like Don Becker will take the time
> to speak to the mere mortals?  That is just awesome!  :)
>
> Catch you later.

Craig, I'm not sure what you mean? I don't think I used the Linux source
tree. I simply obtained the tulip.c and pci-scan.c files along
kern_compat.h from Beouwolf (scyld.com).

I created a /usr/scr/linux/module/tulip directory and put the source in
there.

I compiled pci-scan with the following command line:

  gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DEXPORT_SYMTAB \
  -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.17/include \
  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c pci-scan.c

I compiled tulip with the following command line:

  gcc -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ \
  -I/usr/src/linux-2.2.17/include \
  -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes \
  -O6 -c tulip.c && echo -DMODVERSIONS

Tested each with insmod - worked OK (tulip still doesn't play nicely
with modprobe?)
Moved each to /lib/modules/.../net
Used linuxconf (I know I cheated -- it was late) to set eth0 to tulip
<<eth0 came to life and I was connected to the cable ISP>>
Checked /etc/modules.conf for alias eth0 "tulip" - was OK
Did a shutdown -t 1 -h now (and got the hell in bed, it was late and I
was tired)

So I don't know what you call that operation, but I'm just happy it all
worked out.

<It's amazing the lenghts we will go to in order to set up a second
machine to serve as a 'test box' to hopefully keep us from doing
anything "unwise" to the real system> Now if I could just get my wife
accustomed to Grub....

--

David Rankin
Rankin*Bertin, PLLC