Al Baker [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] wrote:
> I've been wondering if anyone uses a Linux PDA with
> their Mandrake desktop and what kind of impression
> they have with that?
>
> Specifically, I've been looking at 3:
> Compaq's iPaq (which you can reload with linux)
> Agenda's V3R (monochrome :(   )
> Yoppy (can only get in developer version) :
> http://www.gmate.co.kr/english/products/overview.htm
>
> Anyone have any experiences with these?

I've been using an agenda for a few months, and I like it a lot.  It's not
really an end-user PDA at this point, but if you are a developer who likes:

- real linux and real x windows in a pda, with all the benefits that has of
  portability of applications and exporting of displays between your
  desktop and pda (using a standard light x toolkit and window manager
  (fltk/flwm)
- real shell access to your pda (ssh and telnet)
- building on common unix tools instead of reinventing the wheel (eg using
  rsync for synchronization)
- being able to hack hack hack, with a very supportive community and
  company
- not spending a ton of money
- having vi and sed in your pocket

Then you should love the agenda.  Performance on the software that ships
with it is rather poor; development is fierce and you should upgrade to the
latest rootdisk and kernel, which are very much improved.

If you want a pda like a palm pilot, and aren't a hardcore unix type, you
probably won't see the point of the agenda's features.  If you are a
hardcore unix/free software type, who would rather keep a todo list in vim
than any silly gui*, this thing is the greatest.

*(their pim suite has actually gotten favorable reviews, and being open
source has already been ported to other linux pda projects... I'm just
making a point about the general type who will like this pda)

--
Jeremy Blosser