Neal,

This drove me insane for awhile and then I finally nailed it.  I would type
service usb status and get not running, yet it was starting the service at
boot. what I had to do was create a file in /etc/sysconfig called usb.  The
contents of the file are as follows:

USB=yes
MOUSE=no
KEYBOARD=no
STORAGE=no
VISOR=yes

notice no quotes around yes and no.

Also since I am using the stock mandrake kernel, I needed to have some stuff
in /etc/modules.conf:

alias usb-interface usb-uhci
post-install usb-uhci modprobe visor

Hope this helps you out