On Thursday 31 May 2001 07:49 pm, Benjamin Sher wrote:
> Is there a memory test program in Windows that I could use to check
> my new memory modules?
> I no longer have LM 8.0. Will need to reinstall. So, no point in
> testing memory in Linux.

   The very best, versions for Winblows or Linux. Of course the Linux
version is better ;)

 http://reality.sgi.com/cbrady_denver/memtest86/

   You make a bootable floppy with this app.  L2 cache can be toggled
on/off or (default) is auto toggled on/off.  This is important because
there really is no way to test ram independently of the motherboard,
cpu and it's caches other than on speciallized expensive machines few
shops have.  It's also important in that if you set your ram timings
too high, or the ram (or motherboard) itself is faulty, your file
system (or Windoze registry) is not at risk.

   If you pass those tests, then the acid test for cpu/cache/ram is

   http://users.ev1.net/~redelm/

again, both Windoze and Linux versions. If you can't pass these tests,
your hardware isn't stable.  Again, the Linux version is better ;>  I
wouldn't recommend running cpuburn on any sysem that doesn't have
hardware monitoring up and running, 'specially cpu core temp. For your
AMD cpu Ben, you need to add 10 to 20C to the reported probe temp
(thermistor) to approximate the actual core temp.  If it gets too high,
abort the program.  Good hardware should be able to run cpuburn's tests
and keep the core temp under 65°C for AMD (45-55°C probe temp), and
45°C for Intels (measured from the internal diode).  Most AMD's are
spec'd to fry at 85-90°, Intels at 65-70°.
--
Tom Brinkman      [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay