[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I had the same problem. I have a small script to extract my
> dhcp IP address from ifconfig. Under LM8 it didn't seem to
> work unless I made perl add a newline. Then I tried this:
>
>       fred=`getip.pl`
>       echo $fred
>
> and $fred did have the IP address. I don't think this is a
> perl problem but something to do with the shell.

Thats exactly it!

Look - this is done on that same lm72 box that did not work before:

bash-2.04$ tcsh
[rusty@tempe-dhcp4 ~]$ perl
{ $| = 1; my $i = 1; print $i , "          asdf";}
1          asdf[rusty@tempe-dhcp4 ~]$
               ^^^^^^^my prompt^^^^^^

so with tcsh we get the expected results.

rc

Rusty Carruth          Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W