Hi,

My guess is that you are not starting ssh with the -X flag.  This X11
forwarding.
Possible other problems, the DISPLAY environment variable is not
correctly set (although it should be in an xterm).  If this is the case,
assuming that you only have one X11 server running on one monitor, try
"export DISPLAY=:0".

Elsewise, I think I need more information to come up with more useless
ideas :-)